Tuesday, April 25, 2006

 

The True North. Strong. And free.

Who *doesn't* want to go to Canada?

Every day I just meet more and more french people wanting to study/live/move to Canada, our home and native land.

Canada: recruiting YOU.

Seriously, there was even un reportage on TV that gave stats on French people responding to the question:

"Dans quel pays desirez-vous habiter?"
(In which country would you like to live?)

The percentage responding "Canada" was, yup, higher than the percentage of french people choosing France, their own country.

Sure, I suppose the grass is always greener on the other side. But when you've got pas mal (a lot) of people living in the freaking French Riviera in all its sunny, beachy glory who want to get the hell outta here and move to Canada, it makes you stop and think.

What is so great about Canada? Sure, lots of things, including friendly people, a good economy, beautiful environment, stability and lack of terrorism... poutine... baby phoque (seal)...

When I get back, I'm going to revel in Canada's glory. Also, visit all the french people who I met here and moved over :)

Comments:
One word is all i need to say (remember this is coming from a Torontonian): VANCOUVER :)
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Vancouver is a great metropolis, but there's more to Canada than just it's urban beauty.

Frankly, though, it's on a slippery slope to disaster. There's very strong interests eating away at what makes us so great. From legislation to media we're slowly being transformed into a vapid consumer culture obsessed with self-interest and intolerance.

It's the neighbour's, I tell yah.

Also, that paragraph was simply fun to write. ;)
 
Yeah, I guess the greener grass phenomenom has a lot to do with this. I may be wrong, but I think that the main part of french people answering Canada have an ideal vision of it, or mix up the will to visit it with the will to really live in. It's easy to elude the disadvantages when you are not confronted with them (for example, winter in eastern Canada : 2 meters of snow every morning, winter in eastern Canada : 2 meters of rain every day... ok, I know it's a bit exaggerated ^^). I know you only really miss things when you no longer have them. I am never more happier to live in the Côte d'Azur than when I return home after a long absence.

By the way, concerning the thinking of studying in the Pays des Caribous, the study fees for foreign students have kind of dampened my enthusiasm :/

P.S : Should you have taken your photo a little bit more to the left, my home would have been on it.C'est ballot ! (it's a shame !)

P.P.S : t'as intérêt à avoir essayé Berthillon pendant ton séjour à Paris, sinon... coup de genou !
 
(damn ! I meant winter in western Canada : 2 meters of rain every day)
 
Alexandre: The rain in Western Canada is really only a deluge of sorts in Vancouver. Victoria, on Vancouver Island, is pleasant and wonderful all year round.
 
Abuh? You're not REALLY, are you?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?