Wednesday, March 08, 2006

 

The Sacred Practice of Jogging in Winter

Went for a jog this morning on the promenade. I've been trying to keep up my New Year's resolution to do some cardio at least 3 times a week... two months later, I figure once a week is pretty good too.

I actually take my jogs as an opportunity to visit my favourite colour. I've only ever seen her in two places in the world - actually, three.

The first time was in Austria in 1999, as my family drove along a high, winding mountain road and spotted a crystal lake glistening in the sunlight. Blue. No, green. Not quite that gaudy turquoise... it's hard to explain. The second time was in a Ben Moss jewellery flyer, in a beautiful gemstone embedded in a gold ring. I'd excitedly showed my favourite colour to Jimi, although by the look on his face, I think he took it wrong and thought I was hinting at engagement. Oops.

The third time was here in Nice, when I wasn't feeling to hot but decided to go for a jog to clear my thoughts. The waves were high that day as I approached the seawall. The lighting was perfect, the water just right. And then I saw my favourite colour again! It's like seeing an old friend again! Wow! Unfortunately the conditions have to be just right, so she's not always there when I pass by on the promenade. But I always look.

Afterwards, I turn my attention to the people I jog by. This morning, I was delighted to see an older, Polonaise-looking woman and partner walking peacefully down the boardwalk. The woman had the most pleasant look on her face, with happy eyes wrinkling at the corners, and a upturned yet reserved smile. You don't see that often in Nice, I thought to myself. People here are usually so grumpy! But maybe the whole "Nice people aren't very nice" thing isn't that true, after all! And I continued jogging.

It was only till I reached my landmark and turned around to jog back that I realized why she looked so happy.

Actually, the sun was glaring in the other direction so harshly, you couldn't help but squint. Which actually pulls up your cheek muscles, producing a FAKE SMILE.

But then a construction worker taking down the Carnaval tribunes waved at me and said Bonjour. That's nice.

Comments:
Sounds nice, take photos!
 
Oh yeah... I remember. =) That was dramatic yet fun. ^_^ Talk to you soon >_^
 
I'll try and bring my camera the next time I'm at the beach. Just for you, Morgan :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?