Sunday, February 26, 2006

 

Parting is such sweet sorrow

Today I had to say goodbye to the first friend I made in Nice. Kati was my roommate, the other new girl who arrived in October from Germany, but spoke perfect English.

Remember? Me spewing english after having been fed up with constant french? She was the one who spent the afternoon with me and relieved the pressure of my about-to-explode frenchy head.

I remember spending a Saturday brunch out on Sabrina's balcony in the sun. We chatted about her relationship with her parents - they were her close friends she told everything to... wait, talking? With parents? About something other than where to get picked up afterschool? Unheard of in Chinese culture! I told her.

She'd always been so thoughtful. When I'd stay out late, she text me in vain, trying to figure out if I was ok. Of course I was, she just didn't realize yet how my phone could blow up in my bag and still probably wouldn't notice.

I have a picture of us teary-eyed yet still eternally smiling for the camera (she and I are smilers) from our 9am good-bye. Instead of exposing our puffy faces to the world, I instead prefer to remember last night (picture above). Swell pizzeria on the Cour Saleya, where we'd eaten yummy crepes outside one January afternoon. We'd sat down in the sunshine, and the waiter told us that if we were going to have more than a coffee, we'd need to move into the covered, un-sunny area. She said no. And that was that. I love that girl!

BTW, last night was freaking cold, but luckily I had with me the fantabulous soft, white scarf that Denise had knitted for me for my birthday. Everyone complimented me on it, thanks Denise!!

Comments:
:.......(

I don't even want to imagine what is going to happen when we leave the Kolej - so many friends -

But hey, chin up, the world isn't such a big place - stay in touch and maybe one day your paths will cross again!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?