Sunday, January 29, 2006

 

On generosity

Got a package in the mail yesterday from my awesomely thoughtful cousin Abbie. I was like, hey, it's not my birthday, and this couldn't be a new year's gift or anything.

I open it up and find a card:

"Hey Angel, I was doing some "spring" cleaning in December and I found these never worn shirts of mine. I thought you might like them! If not, feel free to share w/ your friends =)"

And I pull out four really cool shirts from CrazyShirts.com (plus really yummy lipgloss).

How thoughtful is that, people!?

Abbie's generosity never ceases to amaze me. There are people out there in the world who close their fists tightly over whatever they own, perhaps in the hopes that "maybe some day I'll use it"... whereas there are people like my cousin! And my good friend from school Kahina.

What is generosity? Well, if it's an inconvenience (or what other people consider to be an inconvenience) for you to go out of your way to send something, to take the time out of your schedule, or to drop a bit of money, but you happily give without any expectation for returns... that's generosity. Add a pinch of thoughtfulness where the gift has meaning. And share what you have without a second thought - don't just snarf down your yummy sandwich when your friend sitting next to you has but a bottle of water.

Admittedly, I'm not as thoughtful or generous as I'd like to be, but this is part of my changement for the new year, for the rest of my life.

3 of the 4 shirts I received went to roommates who look absolutely fab in them. Getting something unexpectedly boosted everyone's spirits, too.

Random acts of kindness. Do 'em.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?