Tuesday, September 27, 2005

 

My prof is George Costanza's dad

Today was thoroughly entertaining.

My Tuesday schedule of 5 hours of Combinatorial Optimization could very well have driven me crazy. I braced myself as I entered the Amphi Chimie at 10h this morning, having heard beforehand that the prof was Greek, and was hard enough to understand if you were fluent in french. That's alright, I was up to the challenge. I plopped myself into the front row once again, and watched the prof intently as he prepared his slides.

Yeah, he did look greek; a round, deity-looking guy wearing a flat gold necklace and a plump, satisfied smile. He moved with sweeping gestures, and I expected his lecture to be as grandiose. But when he started to speak, I almost laughed out loud in the silent lecture theatre. (I clapped my hand to my mouth and shook silently, eyes laughing instead.)

You know George's dad from Seinfeld (or Carrie's dad from King of Queens)?

Yeah, Dr. K communicates with the same blatant disregard for his listener's eardrums . When he speaks, he stands erect, raises his head with his eyes slightly closed, opens his mouth and shouts! And not all the time, no. Just random outbursts that jolt everyone out from their seats. Oh man.

2 hours of that in the lecture theatre... I was grinning in bemusement the whole time, even if I couldn't understand half of what he was saying. Same deal in our 3 hour long tutorial. I thought he might tone it down in a smaller room, but no.

Apparently it gets old/tiring after a while, but for now, I'm very very amused.

Comments:
How about a live feed so we can enjoy his antics :D
 
I was actually considering bringing out my digicam during class, but unfortunately I'd decided to leave it at home yesterday. Maybe next time. I'll sit a bit further back ;)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?