Monday, September 26, 2005

 

Fait'ing la bise

Gawd... first day... so tiring.

I really took for granted the way SFU scheduled classes. First of all, you can choose what classes you feel like taking, they only last 50 minutes, there's plenty of time for breaks....

Today, I felt like falling over by the time lunch came around. Here was the schedule I was assigned:

8h - Languages & Automata (2 hours)
10h10 - Databases (2 hours - in the same lecture theatre)
12h15 - Lunch (45 mins)
1pm - Databases Tutorial (2 hours)

I'm bringing my waterbottle tomorrow. Dehydration and migraines = bad.

On a brighter note, Denis introduced me to his 3 friends from Antibes who are in first year Math/CS, and they seemed nice :) I was a little surprised when ils ont fait la bise as soon as we were introduced. I thought that double cheek kiss thing was just between people who knew each other well, but apparently not! At least I've learned to prevent myself from jumping back in wide-eyed surprise... (Why are you entering my personal bubble?!?)

Comments:
45 minutes for lunch?

What happened to the traditional french lunch : )

So do they have crazy French words for all the CS terms there or are they just like 'le database'. Or is it 'la database'???

You can never be sure.


Nice blogging so far Angelica - keep it up!
 
I know! Students get the short end of the stick over here. Well, I guess that's what happens when higher education is virtually free... (gogo French 20% goods and services tax!)

And yeah, I'm constantly translating in my head all the frenchy CS words. Most of the time it's cools, like "une expression reguliere" or "deterministe", but then they go and abbreviate things like "Notez qu'un A.F.D. c'est un A.F.N!"

Oh... automate fini deterministe et automate fini non-deterministe... yeah... alrighty then!
 
If you're assigned a schedule, does that mean you don't have to register for classes anymore?
 
I still have to do their "administrative registration" where they ask for stupid things like my highschool diploma (dangit...) and proof that I've done my duty in the French army (I guess I'm exempted). Oh, and pay the fees in person. Nothing's done online here :(
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?