Sunday, September 18, 2005

 

Been one heck of a week

Alright, I figure it's time I do the whole blog thing, since I said I would and such ;)

It's been a week since I left Vancouver, but it feels like months. I miss everyone terribly, but that's probably mostly because I haven't met many people my age yet.

My first 3 nights were spent at the beautiful Les Camélias Auberge de Jeunesse. I arrived after 11pm the first night, so I had the pleasure of sneaking into a darkened room with 5 sleeping people, making a loud ZZZIIIIPPP noise as I cracked open my luggage, and painstakingly taking out my stuff to get ready for bed. I did as little as possible, even foregoing the bedsheets so I would stop making so much noise!! That night, I slept in the jeans and shirt I walked in with. Needless to say, it wasn't the most comfortable night.

When I got up though, the morning was glorious. A sweet breeze wafted in through the open window. It the clean, fresh, unlike anything I've ever smelled. Everyone had already gone down for breakfast so I made as much noise as I wanted, zipping and unzipping my bag to my heart's content ;) Oh, also, the toilets are ingenious. It's basically just a rounded rim, small enough so girls don't fall in, but no flat seat liable to get peed on.

Anyhoo, breakfast was free, and tasted as such. Some nice baguettes and unlimited coffee/tea/hot chocolate, but the nastiest cereal you'll ever encounter on the face of the earth. Probably better that I only stay there 3 nights. Breakfast was the best part of the hostel. The first morning, I met a young German couple travelling through Europe, the second morning, some Japanese guys and a couple spanish/brazillian dudes, and the third I spent talking to one of the Japanese dudes I'd met the day before. We exchanged MSN addresses, since he wants to learn more English, and I told him chatting online was how I learned French (c'est vrai!)

The second best part of the hostel was meeting people in the same situation as myself. When I returned from school on the second day, one of my roommates looks at me and asks (in french) "Hey, were you at the faculty of science today?". After I finally figured out what she was asking (go 13 years of french class!!) I said yeah! "At the library?" Yes! Turns out she saw me there earlier that day.

Her name was Liouba, a 2nd year Math student going to the U of Nice, also staying at the hostel while she looks for a place to live. She was super nice, and really patient with my crappy french. It was sad to say bye on the last day, but we promised to find each other when school started. What's wrong with me though, obviously I should've asked her if she wanted to find a place together, double our search, etc, right? Too shy *blush*... maybe I'll call her tomorrow.

Okay, I'm going into wayyy too much detail. The next few days I met up with the church folks my mom hooked me up with, visited Monaco, hung out with the kids of the church folks, ate french sandwiches, realized there's a housing crisis in Nice (woo), and met a Newfie girl who was actually in my Montreal French Summer Camp in 2001. Also realized how disorganized the U of Nice is, I'll whine about that later. Toodles!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?